If there is one cake I’m very proud of, it would be my carrot cake. I like the fact that I can say it is low in fat, that it is delicious and that it is a household favorite. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Carrot Cake Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
3 eggs or equivalent egg substitute
3/4 cup milk and vinegar mixture ( to 1 cup of milk- any type- add 2 tbsp vinegar and let sit for 5 minutes)
2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup applesauce
2 cups shredded carrots
1 cup shredded coconut (I use unsweetened)
1/2 cup chopped or crushed pecans
1/2 cup chopped or crushed walnuts
1 cup raisins
1 8 oz can of crushed pineapple with juice
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour cake pans or if using a cupcake mold place paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flours, rising agents, salt and spices. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk mixture, applesauce, sugar and vanilla. Mix well.
- In a medium bowl, combine shredded carrots, coconut, nuts, pineapple and raisins.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix well until completely incorporated using a large spoon or spatula. Add carrot mixture to batter and fold in well.
- Pour into prepared pans, and bake at 350°F (175°C) for 20-25 minutes. This cooking time is for 3 8-inch pans, if baking on a square pan or bigger diameter, adjust baking times accordingly. I would suggest you check your cake in the center with a toothpick for doneness (if it comes out clean, it’s done). If baking cupcakes, you can use an ice cream scoop to put the batter into liners and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before transferring to wire rack to be completely cooled.
- Once completely cooled, frost cakes with cream cheese frosting ( recipe below). You can add chopped nuts on side for added decoration.
Cream cheese frosting
1 package of room temperature cream cheese ( Neuchâtel cheese can be used)
1 stick of butter at room temperature
1/4 tsp salt
4 cups confectioner’s sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
2-3 tbsp milk ( fat-free half and half works as well)
- On a stand mixer, cream butter and cream cheese for 5 minutes at high-speed until mixture turn paddle and if very fluffy.
- Lower speed and as salt and flavorings until incorporated.
- On low-speed, slowly add sugar to mixture. Once combined add milk for desired consistency. The less amount of milk, the thicker the frosting.