If there is one cake I’m very proud of, it would be my carrot cake. I like the fact that I can say it is low in fat, that it is delicious and that it is a household favorite. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Carrot Cake Ingredients
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs or equivalent egg substitute
- 3/4 cup milk and vinegar mixture ( to 1 cup of milk- any type- add 2 tbsp vinegar and let sit for 5 minutes)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup oil or applesauce
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut ( I use unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup chopped or crushed pecans
- 1/2 cup chopped or crushed walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 8 oz can of crushed pineapple with juice
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour cake pans or if using a cupcake mold place paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flours, rising agents, salt and spices. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk mixture, oil, sugar and vanilla. Mix well.
- In a medium bowl, combine shredded carrots, coconut, nuts, pineapple and raisins.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix well until completely incorporated using a large spoon or spatula. Add carrot mixture to batter and fold in well.
- Pour into prepared pans, and bake at 350°F (175°C) for 20-25 minutes. This cooking time is for 3 8-inch pans, if baking on a square pan or bigger diameter, adjust baking times accordingly. I would suggest you check your cake in the center with a toothpick for doneness (if it comes out clean, it’s done). If baking cupcakes, you can use an ice cream scoop to put the batter into liners and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before transferring to wire rack to be completely cooled.
- Once completely cooled, frost cakes with cream cheese frosting ( recipe below). You can add chopped nuts on side for added decoration.
Cream cheese frosting
1 package of room temperature cream cheese ( Neuchâtel cheese can be used)
1 stick of butter at room temperature
1/4 tsp salt
4 cups confectioner’s sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
2-3 tbsp milk ( fat-free half and half works as well)
- On a stand mixer, cream butter and cream cheese for 5 minutes at high-speed until mixture turn paddle and if very fluffy.
- Lower speed and as salt and flavorings until incorporated.
- On low-speed, slowly add sugar to mixture. Once combined add milk for desired consistency. The less amount of milk, the thicker the frosting.