One of the things that gets me very excited each year is making Mother’s Day crafts with the little ones at church.
I was doing a search online and found a couple of cute pictures of a simple craft to make, but unfortunately they had no instructions attached to them. For me it’s very easy to figure out how to get to the finished product based on a picture alone, but I know that’s not the same case for everyone.
I decided to make my own easy craft and post the instructions on how to make it here.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- A paper plate cut in half. If you want to create an extra fancy craft, you can trace and cut a circle out of a craft foam sheet and then cut it in half.
- Crayons or markers. I prefer crayons since it’s easier to clean up.
- Foam flower stickers or any decorative stickers.
- Hole puncher.
- Yarn, thread or ribbon.
- Happy Mother’s Day banner printed on nice cardstock.
- Tissue paper in different colors.
- Clear tape.
Here’s what you’ll help the little one do:
- First, take the two halves and have them face each other forming a pocket. Align the edges and using the hole puncher, punch one hole on each side.
- Cut out the Happy Mother’s Day Banner and give one to the little one. They can color it or if printed in a nice paper, They can glue it directly to the front side.
- If using paper plates, give them to the child with crayons and let them color to their hearts content. This is where their creativity can flourish. Once done, give them the stickers to decorate the edge of the front side of the pocket.
- Help them glue the phrase to the center of the plate. Attach both halves together by applying glue to the rim of a paper plate and placing another on top. Help them thread the yarn, ribbon or material used through the holes previously punched and secure with a knot on each end.
- Cut the tissue paper in squares and instruct the children how to crunch up the tissue paper to make it look like flowers.
- Have them place the flowers inside of the pocket, they can be left as is, but if you want them extra secure, a little piece of tape can be added inside the pocket.